The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

July 23 - 26, 1965



Friday, July 23, 1965

A very nice day. Dorothea, Jeff and I to town after supper. Cleaned up the whole house. Picked peas and beans. Joy and girls left this morning early for home. Ruth took them to Boston to take a train. Went down to Patsy Crams in Casco.



Saturday, July 24, 1965

A very hot humid day. Done up regular work. Billie worked this forenoon. Bill and I down in the woods. Had an early supper and off to the races at Oxford Speedway. Es, Dorothea, Betty, Mike, Jeff and I. We all enjoyed it very much. Also Susan and Stanley.



Sunday, July 25, 1965

A very hot humid day. We took a picnic lunch and went around for a picnic. Finally ate over to North Bridgton beach. Dorothea, Mike, Betty and Jeff in swimming.



Monday, July 26, 1965

A very nice day. Dorothea helped with all my washing and housework. She did all of my ironing in PM. We had a tremendous big wash and got it all out before noon. Betty took me to town in p.m. Also up to Lil’s. Billie got Hayd’s cow home tonight to keep for him while he is in the hospital. TooMaine not very good today. Susan down to work with Nancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment