The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 17, 2017

July 7 - 10, 1965



Wednesday, July 7, 1965

Fair but clouded up and got real cold. I done up my housework. Betty and I over to Norway, did little shopping. Came home, had our first cookout of the season. Fern and Lloyd. Mike and his friend are fishing all afternoon and evening. Dorothea called tonight. I’m worried about her. She has got to come by plane because of her back troubles. I ironed some.



Thursday, July 8, 1965 Oil

Cloudy and some showers in a.m. Cleared in PM, sunny and hot. Billie and I cleaned the cellar. I finished my ironing and done rest of the upstairs. Down to Jean’s. Over to Bob’s. Billie and I picked some peas and strawberries. Mike is still fishing. Betty down to Naples. She had Carmen most all day. Bill home early because of lame hands.



Friday, July 9, 1965

Got my hair set. A nice day. Billie and I done some odds and end jobs. Finally everything is all done. I got my hair set p.m., not very good. Bill didn’t work today. Mike up to Linscott’s, Ervin down in evening and done Mike’s errands of getting the tile out of truck and set the tie rod up.


Carmen and Kristie II



Saturday, July 10, 1965

A nice day after some rain showers in a.m. Fern, Lloyd here all day. Billie and I picked peas. Fern, Lloyd and Betty shelled them. Carmen hauled them from garden. Mike worked at Linscott’s. In p.m. Bill, Mike, Kennard, Billie and Lloyd worked on the well. Betty got her hair cut and set. TooMaine not good. Letter from Es, they arrive on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment