The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

June 2 - 5, 1965 Carmen Hospitalized



Wednesday, June 2, 1965

Carmen was admitted to No. Cumberland Hospital today. A very sick child. She had us all so worried. She showed much improvement this afternoon when Betty and I called on her. Betty and Mike went to see a trailer home and will be getting it in about two weeks. Betty is so pleased, it is beautiful. Bought it from Schiavi’s Mobile Home in Norway. Carmen was very sick all night. Betty, Mike and I to Norway and Betty and I called at Ferns. Delores called, also Kennie and Dot. Billie and I sat the new table up. Bill lame and sick.



Thursday, June 3, 1965

Cloudy and rained most all day. Carmen came home. Better but still very nervous. Billie worked at Chet’s tonight. Bill and Mike measured off the lot for the trailer home. Carmen had hard work to get to sleep. Quiet in all day here with Carmen gone.




Friday, June 4, 1965

A nice day. I went to town in a.m., I had the deed to Betty and Mike’s lot made out. Mike came home, went to bed. Betty over to Norway with Marguerite. I done up my housework, patched hallway paper. Betty and Mike didn’t have to work tonight. Betty took me to town. She and Mike to bed very early.



Saturday, June 5, 1965

A nice day. I done up my work. Made rolls and brown bread. Bill worked in p.m. Billie worked for Lawrence. Billie up to Vermont for all night with Dave Thomas Junior. Betty and Mike had kind of a mixed up day, all came out in the end okay. Out in the evening. Fern up for supper, home early. Delores called. Es called tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment