The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

April 9 - 12, 1958



Wednesday, April 9, 1958

Cold. A nice day. I cooked, churned, cleaned up the house. In p.m. Brud, Nola Raye and Jeffrey called. Dolores went back to Massachusetts to stay. I cleaned closet and bureau draws in my room. Billie to town. Kay up for supper. She and Bet to movies. I called at Linnie’s.



Thursday, April 10, 1958

A very nice day not so cold. I worked upstairs. Bill got in a full week. I cleaned rest of the bureau draws, closets and chests upstairs. A very nice day, the snow went a lot today. Bill got in a full week.



Friday, April 11, 1958

Cloudy all day. I finished my draws and closets cleaning. Billie downtown. Over to Raymonds. Bill and I down to Marion’s in evening. It began to snow in late p.m. Bill got in a full week.



Saturday, April 12, 1958

Another mess of snow this morning that came last night. Snowing and raining this morning. Bill didn’t work. He and I went to town in a.m., paid some bills, got groceries. Got the income taxes off, got Lassies license. Betty made a cake, to movies. In the eve Betty, Bobby and Billie played cards.

Lassie and Ranger (the parakeet) April 1958



No comments:

Post a Comment