The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

November 9 - 12, 1970


Monday, November 9, 1970

I washed today, called at Betty’s a little while. Kim to school. Betty and kids up here in p.m. We checked Christmas gifts etc. In evening Billie and I went down to Dorothea’s. Ken and Delores went with us. We saw the rugs, they are so pretty. They have a beautiful home now. Plumber came I worked at Walt’s tonight. Aunt Ava had a bad spell tonight. I called after I got home.



Tuesday, November 10, 1970

A cloudy day. Rain late in the afternoon. I went down to Betty’s early, she had to take Carmen to hospital for blood test in regards to her recent sickness. Betty, kids and I to Portland. Betty met Walt and they picked out things for apartment. Betty and I did a dite of Christmas shopping. Also called at Dorothea’s. She has a beautiful home now. The rugs are very pretty. They are proud and have reason to be. Called at Aunt Ava’s, she isn’t too good.



Wednesday, November 11, 1970

Cloudy and rain showers. I went down to Betty’s to stay with Zak. Today’s Susan and Vince up here for the day. I ironed, did a dite of cooking. Billie and Cliff dropped in in evening.



Thursday, November 12, 1970

Cloudy. I did regular work, washed, down to Betty’s. We checked over Christmas list etc. To town. When we came home, Kim came and stayed with me and for supper. I called at Aunt Ava’s in evening. She is about the same. Cliff and Billie dropped in during the evening. They went with Billie up to Waterford to get haircuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment