The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 18, 2019

, December 14 - 17, 1970


Monday, December 14, 1970

Stormy this forenoon but cleared up during day. Bill home for breakfast after working part of last night plowing. Worked all day, came home for supper and up again at midnight to go down to clear the streets.



Tuesday, December 15, 1970

Carmen back-to-school after a 12 day stay home because of sickness. Betty, Kim, Zak and I went to Dorothea’s and into town to do some Christmas shopping. A beautiful day. I sent Billie’s Christmas cards and mine to Scotland. We went to the new Monmouth Mart near the Falmouth area.

Horton 1970 Christmas Card



Wednesday, December 16, 1970

A very nice day. Betty came up and we wrapped gifts. Betty went and got our Christmas tree. Kim up for supper. Deming’s called in evening. Betty came and Betty, Cliff and Billie decorated the tree. It is very pretty. I heavy snow warning came over TV tonight. Walt sick this forenoon from eating porkchops. I mailed my Christmas cards.



Thursday, December 17, 1970 a bad snow storm, about 18 inches, Carmen mumps

Got up and it was snowing hard. It got worse and snowed hard all day, some wind. Got about 18 to 20 inches snowfall. I was at home all day. I cleaned out my bedrooms. I washed. I washed some windows. Bill home for supper and went right back to work plowing. They plowed driveway tonight. Billie home from Dialectic about 4 PM. Fern in bed today, her feet are swollen bad. Carmen is swollen with the mumps. Walt plowed his driveway with his new tractor. Esther called at Ferns in p.m. Betty and I called on her in evening. Betty took some soup to her. Billie and the Deming boys went and got haircuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment