The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 15, 2019

December 3 - 6, 1970


Thursday, December 3, 1970

A beautiful mild day, on the windy side. I went down and babysat for Susan. She and Esther went to Portland to do Susan’s Christmas shopping. Went to Dorothea’s. She went with them. Called at Betty’s, kids all sick. I did some Christmas wrapping in p.m. Kim’s picture in Bridgton news this week. Roger Pendexter, Bridgton’s chief of police died last night. I wrapped some Christmas gifts.



Friday, December 4, 1970

Snow on the ground this morning, all white. Turned to rain. Carmen not to school. It rained and snowed all day. It has cleared late tonight and much colder with strong winds. I wrapped Christmas gifts today. Betty sick, kids are little better. I didn’t go to town tonight. Betty had a box come from Sears today.



Saturday, December 5, 1970

Bill worked after midnight till about three. Cleaning up streets.




Sunday, December 6, 1970

Sally, Vickie and a friend called and got Christmas trees. It was a snowy drizzly day. Cloudy. I done regular work and got a roast pork supper. Billie took some over to Aunt Ava, she liked it very much. Billie gone all day.



No comments:

Post a Comment