The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

January 5 - 8, 1971


Tuesday, January 5, 1971

A rainy, sleeting, dreary day. I worked on my scraps. I began on them today. I did a little desk work. I like my new desk very much. Bill home, ate supper, went right to bed. Billie brought pork home tonight. We wrapped it, carried it down to deep-freeze. Betty Smith called tonight. Norma Gay had a baby girl born January 4, last night at about 11 PM. Regina.
                                                                                                                                                         


Wednesday, January 6, 1971

Nice clear day but on the cold windy side. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. In p.m. I got my clothes in, they dried good on the line. Kim here in p.m. Dorothea up today. She has a very bad lame back. They talked on Ouija. Esther was down there. She dried some sweaters. Carmen still back in school. In evening Betty, Es and I called at Ferns.



Thursday, January 7, 1971

A nice bright sunny day. I done regular work. Susan and Betty to Norway to do a dite of shopping. Kim and Zak here a while. Esther, Cliff and Billie called in evening.



Friday, January 8, 1971

Clear, but very cold and windy. I done up my work. Went down to Betty’s. Walt came after me about 7:30. I was at Betty’s all day and until 930 at night. Bill and Billie down here for supper. Kim up to Es for lunch. Carmen up there for supper. Betty to Dorothea’s for the day, and then Walt took her out for supper and to a show. I helped Betty by doing some washing, cleaning up around etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment