The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 5, 2017

September 28 - October 1, 1963



Saturday, September 28, 1963

A beautiful day. The leaves and all are very bright and pretty. I done up the work. Wrote a letter to Dorothea and family. Cooked. Bill down to Fern and Lloyd’s to watch ballgame. Billie working for Lawrence trucking cattle to Fryeburg Fair. In p.m. Mama, Betty, Carmen and I took a ride. Fern here for supper and evening. Betty to town and Carmen didn’t go to bed very early. Pullet egg.



Sunday, September 29, 1963

After a very long time of dry weather we have had some rain. It began about 9 AM. I haven’t done much. Kennie and Dot up this morning to borrow Carmen. Carmen didn’t sleep very well last night. Julie Conant called. In PM Blanche and I went to the committal services at the So. High St. for Dana Carlton Harmon-day-old son of Phonie and Lorraine. It was so very sad. Billie trucked some more cattle for Lawrence.



Monday, September 30, 1963

A very nice day, leaves are so pretty. I did my washing. In p.m. Betty and I took Mama, Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis for a ride. Carmen over to Blanche’s. We took Mama on a ride over where she used to go when she was young. She enjoyed every minute of it. What roads. Rest of us was kind of scared. A nice pretty day.




Tuesday, October 1, 1963

Beautiful day. I churned in a.m., made a pie. Blanche came over. She, Betty, Carmen and I went to the Fryeburg Fair. Didn’t have time enough to see everything. Came home, had supper. Bill and I back to the Fair. Came home, Betty enjoyed her programs in evening. Our well went dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment