The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

December 29 - 31, 1963




Someone is naughty!


Sunday, December 29, 1963

We done up the work. Aunt Ava here, Fern, Lloyd and Blanche called. Carmen coming down with a cold. I to work at three. Mama ordered us to move from here in three weeks. Betty and I down to Ferns on my way to work.



Monday, December 30, 1963

Cold and windy. I did a big wash. Carmen very sick today, had Dr. Richards for her. Blanche here today. Mama about the same. Bill 55 today. Billie had a new cow come from Lawrence. A roan red.



Tuesday, December 31, 1963

20 below this morning. I was busy all day, got dinner at noon. Bill home, had afternoon off. Dolores here in p.m.



Well this is the end of 1963. It’s goodbye with all the big events. Pres. Kennedy’s death. Lassie Crook’s death. Carmen Christie Boutilier’s birth. Christie Crook came to live with us. Goodbye old 1963.





No comments:

Post a Comment