The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 12, 2017

October 25 - 28, 1963 Carmen Swallowed Toy Part



Friday, October 25, 1963

Well I done up my work here at home. Went to work, my second day at Stillman’s. Blanche and Delores called also Fern and Lloyd. Grace been in bed all day, not so good.



Saturday, October 26, 1963 $20.00

HOT HOT HOT 80 - 90 degrees. I cooked, baked beans,made rolls etc. Betty, Carmen and I to town in a.m. I went to work. $20 I was paid tonight. DOROTHEA called. I talked with she and Jeff. I feel so sorry for Dorothea. She is so lonely. She would like to come home.



Sunday, October 27, 1963

Another hot day, a little cloudy. I churned, got dinner, went to work.



Monday, October 28, 1963

When we awakened this morning rain was falling slightly on the roof. We washed, Christie to Norway to the doctors. She has worms. He gave her some medicine. Carmen spent the day with Blanche. I worked tonight. Carmen swallowed the inside of a toy, a wire with a piece of lead on it. Blanche took her to the hospital for x-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment