The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 1, 2017

September 11 - 14, 1963



Wednesday, September 11, 1963

A very nice day. Warm. I churned in PM. In a.m. over to Aunt Ava’s and got her washing. To town with Lloyd and back in time to get Billie’s lunch. I went to Judy Hatch’s bridal shower in evening. She got a lot a very nice gifts. Betty and I out with Carmen and up to (?) Mercer’s in p.m. Got new kitten.



Thursday, September 12, 1963

Cloudy, showers. I cleaned up my chambers in a.m. In p.m. Betty, Blanche, Carmen and I went to Dawn’s for a visit. Had a good red flannel hash supper. Betty and Carmen down town after supper to get TV Guide. Billie gone to the fair with Dave Thomas in Norway.



Friday, September 13, 1963

I cleaned up my chambers. Done up rest of the work. Made tarts and a very good beef soup for supper. Betty and I picked our vegetables and flowers. Went to town, took some flowers to Ferns. Frost expected tonight. It has been cold and windy all day, a pretty day.



Saturday, September 14, 1963

A very heavy frost this morning. All our garden stuff that was left gone. I got my cooking done early this morning. When Billie got ready we killed hens. It warmed up. I didn’t get to the wedding. Letters and snaps from Esther. Killed hens.



No comments:

Post a Comment