The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 5, 2024

October 21 -23, 1990 Fern's 88th Birthday

 

Sunday, October 21, 1990 Fern 88 years today

 

A quite nice day. Today we had a very nice birthday party at Betty and Walt’s for Fern. It was her 88th year. It was a nice day and she enjoyed it very much. A good old boiled dinner. All ate very well. Fern, Dorothea and David, Carmen, Kim, Betty Smith, Billie and I, Brogan and Joy later. Tom called in a little later to eat. He was on the police duty and the hosts, Betty and Walt, the host and hostess. Fern got a lot of nice gifts. Dot Smith not too good today. Jason came to work today.

 



 


 

Monday, October 22, 1990

 

I get a nice long letter from Zack. Very nice. I was very pleased. He is doing okay and we are very pleased. I was busy. I washed and got the beef tongue and heart on cooking. What a job. It smells the house up so. Carmen came for a little while then she and Betty, Brogan and I went over to Walt’s lots and they put up the signs and one over in black black mountain. They had liver and onions for supper. Very good they said. Dot still not good. Lorraine down to see her and Rayburn both there and Bea, also Wanda.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 23, 1990

 

A cloudy dreary day. It rained off and on. The rest of the week don’t look too good. I didn’t do much. I wrote to Zack. Carmen, Bro came also Betty. She dropped the thing in her back. She is quite lame. Dorothy a dite better in some ways, still not too good. Well Carmen got a call from Kurt, he is coming to Gray and wants to meet her on Thursday. I hope he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment