The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 22, 2024

December 21 - 24, 1990 Billie Home For the Holiday. Christmas Eve

 

Friday, December 21, 1990

 

Cloudy, foggy, rain and a miserable day. I got the papers read and Carmen went and done the shopping. Betty called. I shampooed my hair. And Dorothea came this evening and cut and trimmed it. It looks better and feels much better.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 22, 1990

 

Another one of those cloudy rainy misty foggy days. It was all day yesterday too. Well, the time is drawing near to the Christmas. Got a lots of finishing touches to put on. Not me but the rest of the family. I didn’t do much today. I did write to Esther but didn’t get it mailed. Zak called in p.m. Carmen up to Tom and Charlene’s with Betty and Walt for supper. I had Brogan, Zak was going to babysit but I said she could stay here. Also Dorothea called this evening. Kim took Tom to the hospital early 2 a.m. this morning, he had throat trouble. He was very sick. I hope he will be okay now.

 

 

 

Sunday, December 23, 1990 RAIN RAIN 66° Temp

 

This has been a very dreary miserable day all day. I made Jell-O salads, meat pie and done a wash and a lot of odds and end jobs. Carmen called. Also Kim came, she did Kassie. Debbie and Danica Martin called and brought a candy treat for Christmas. Also Betty and Dorothea came, we rode around looking at Christmas lights etc. Then we went up to Dorothea and David’s and saw their  tree. It was beautiful up there. She fixes things so nice. Also Betty’s house is very pretty, all red lights etc.

 

 

 

Monday, December 24, 1990

 

Carmen came and cleaned. I took my bath first thing. I done some odds and end jobs, been very busy all day getting ready for the night. Billie got home at about three. Walt got him. He was so glad to get home. It was nice and sunny. I warmed up the meat pie for supper. Kim and Carmen made the snacks for tonight. After supper we went down to Betty Smith for her to open her gifts. Walt, Zack, Betty, Dorothea, Carmen, Kim and Tom called in. She had a lot of nice useful gifts and all enjoyed it then we came up here. Fern and David were here with Billie. We had our gifts and a good snack. Very good treats. All enjoyed it very much. We got to bed at about 11:30. Zak stayed here all night which I was glad. Billie got tired.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment