The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

November 12 - 14, 1990 Billie Had Another Stroke

 

Monday, November 12, 1990

 

Billie didn’t feel very good today. He sat around very quiet, kind of lame. Carmen here and did some work today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 13, 1990 Billie to hospital, cleaned living room rug

 

Billie has been on the downside for the past few days. Not up to par. Early this morning, about 4 AM he called me. He had fell in by the bathroom door. I couldn’t get him up so I called Betty, she and Walt came and we couldn’t move him. So we called Dorothea. She came and they got him up and finally to bed. His mind was quite mixed up. I got him a cup of coffee and to the bathroom. Finally after Dorothea and Betty came and Carmen, he made up his mind to go to the hospital. It was discovered he had had another shock, worse than one before last April. I’m worried. Today they came and cleaned the rug, couch and chairs. Done a very good job. It looks so nice. Dorothea and Betty did everything to help and Carmen. Carmen took Billie to hospital. Done chores and everything. The girls done a very good job in living room. I’m very pleased.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 14, 1990

 

It dawned nice and sunny. It was very cold because of the awful wind of yesterday and last night. Carmen and I went to Windham today to get the curtains for the living room. They are very pretty, light rose colored drapes. Well now they are going to take Billie to Portland to a rehab therapy. I hate to have him have to go. I know he won’t like it. I’ll be so glad when he is all better and able to get home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment