The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 29, 2024

January 14 - 16, 1991 USA AT WAR

 

Monday, January 14, 1991

 

Partly cloudy and some sun. I did a washing. It soon got cloudy and a kind of on the cold side. I got the mail off today. Carmen took them to the post office. Tonight Zack was here for supper. Was very pleased. He is a good loving boy. He may have to go to war as he has reassigned up in the National Guard. We are on the verge of a war. Zack has now sold his truck. He sold his car a while ago.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 15, 1991

 

It came partly sunny this morning, also very mild. In late p.m. it got cloudy. I did regular work. Carmen came, she did the hens, came back in late p.m, got supper started. Went away and came back, got the supper on table. Well this has been a very tense day war the world. I thought of Esther all day. I know how she must be feeling. It is awful for everybody, it is scary. I’m going to sit up till very late.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 16, 1991 AT WAR TONIGHT

 

Tonight at about 5:15 Eastern Standard Time WAR BROKE OUT I sat up until 12 PM. The news and pictures of this event was on TV live. Much different than the past wars. We hope this will be over soon. Thinking of Billie Deming. Hope he will be okay. I didn’t do much today. I washed and got some string beans on for supper. Also more on the puzzle. I had a eye checkup at Dr (?). They are okay 20/20. Carmen took me down.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment