The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 8, 2024

November 1 - 4, 1990

 

Thursday, November 1, 1990

 

A very nice day, sunny and warm. I done regular work. Then I read some papers to get ready to read the other papers. Carmen not here today, she planned to wash the windows, but didn’t get done. Betty took Billie and I have to see the new apartment. It looks very nice and I hope the man she is renting it to will like it and his two children. Carmen been busy all day. She is tired and exhausted. Today Dot came back to the nursing home.

 

 

 

Friday, November 2, 1990 $448

 

A very nice day. I didn’t do much. I made a chocolate pudding. Carmen helped up to the little house to get the well cleaned out. Billie not feeling very good. Carmen took the checks down and cashed them.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 3, 1990

 

I did some odd and end jobs. Rode over to Rosalie’s with Carmen. I made out the bills this morning and p.m. Betty sold her horse today. He was too rough on Ebony. David here for coffee and made a long visit. Carmen here for a little while.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 4, 1990

 

A nice day. Very mild and sunny. I made out the bills. Dorothea called this p.m. Carmen, Brogan here for a little while. Also Kim called and got some water.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment