The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 14, 2024

November 22 - 24, 1990 Thanksgiving - Billie Home For The Day

 

Thursday, November 22, 1990 Billie home, ZAK CALLED

 

Sunny this morning when we got up. Carmen came, did the chores etc. Dorothea left early to go to get Billie. We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Billie got home for it. He was very pleased to come home. We had a nice dinner. Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions, shell beans, celery, cranberry sauce, hot rolls and good graham nut bread Carmen made. The turkey was very good, cooked to a perfection. Lemon pie, date filled pie, Indian pudding and filled cookies. Fern, Betty, Walt, Betty S, Carmen, Brogan, Dorothea, David, Billie and me. Kim came in p.m. for a little while, had a bite to eat. Kim had dinner at Tom’s sister’s in Portland. Walt took Billie home at about 6:30. All of us had a chance to talk with Zak. He called. It was so good to hear his voice.

 


 


 

Friday, November 23, 1990

 

The cloudy dark day. I didn’t do much. I did a dite of washing. Betty, Carmen and Brogan to Norway to do some shopping. Jane Deming and children called. They had two friends with them. Dorothea called this evening for a little while. I hope Billie is better and not too homesick. I’ll be glad when his therapy is over. I had a visitor today in p.m. Tom Harriman, Kim’s friend. He has such a nice young man. She is a lucky girl. I hope Carmen will do as well.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 24, 1990

 

Cloudy and rainy in the morning. It broke away in forenoon. I did a dite of washing, worked on bills at my desk. Betty, Brogan called also Carmen and Susan called and made a visit. While today we got the call from Zak, he will be home in a couple of days or so. I hope his life will be a good one from now on out. Joy got hay at Betty’s today. I called tonight to see how Billie is, he is doing okay in his therapy they said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment