The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

November 22 - 25, 1964



Sunday, November 22, 1964

On the cold windy side, didn't get up till 9 AM. Done up the work after a breakfast of beans and steamed biscuits. Betty, Bill, Carmen and I took a ride over to Harrison and around in Bill's new car. Fern, Lloyd, Kennie, Dot, Bob, Deb and Lori all called. Betty down to Dawn's.



Monday, November 23, 1964

Cold, very cold. I did a tremendous big wash. Had to go to town in middle of forenoon. Betty gone all day and she and Mike away tonight. Billie worked till five.



Tuesday, November 24, 1964

A quite nice day, not too cold. I did quite a bit of cooking. I done up my housework. Betty sick again today. Carmen upstairs all day. I got the clothes all in. I ironed after supper. Billie worked till five.



Wednesday, November 25, 1964

I done rest of my cooking and made preparations for tomorrow's dinner. I had to go to town at noon. Betty here all day looking over my boxes etc. Joy and girls here.

No comments:

Post a Comment