The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 25, 2017

December 12 - 15, 1964



Saturday, December 12, 1964

Cloudy, foggy etc. I done up my work, got my sitting room ready for tree. Had good bean supper. Carmen not feeling too good. Betty sick. Fern up for supper. Bill, Carmen and I to town in p.m. Bill done a lot of odd and end jobs.



Sunday, December 13, 1964

Talked with Jeffrey and Dorothea. That was good. Didn’t get much done today. Bob here, Kennie, Dot, Ava, Ken and Delores. Backed cards tonight. Got gifts ready to go. Cloudy and foggy.



Monday, December 14, 1964

A beautiful day. I finished my cleaning in the dining room and sitting room. To town, paid $70 on taxes. Billie backed his cards tonight. Jennifer Johns up here and bought some of my antiques, $15 worth.



Tuesday, December 15, 1964

Fair, colder. I washed, made a pie. Betty churned. Betty got the tree in today, it is a beautiful one. She also did all the decorating. Had a boiled dinner. Fern up. Lawrence brought up a bull tonight and took the red Hereford heifer home. Billie gone to Conway with Lawrence for a load of pigs.



No comments:

Post a Comment