The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 3, 2024

January 29 - February 1, 1991

 

Tuesday, January 29, 1991 WEDDING DRESS

 

A beautiful day, sunny day, not too cold. Carmen, Betty, Kim and Brogan went to Portland for wedding dress for the upcoming wedding. Kim, Carmen, Betty and Brogan. Kim and Carmen dresses are on order. Kim and Brogan brought theirs home. Well this wedding is getting on to the road, other things are done. Well I got a boiled dinner to going. David here this morning. Betty, Walt, Carmen, Brogan and Betty Smith here for supper. We listen to President Bush speaks to the nation tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 30, 1991

 

A quiet day, quite a nasty day. It’s cloudy and rain. In PM it cleared away. Walt and Carmen to Windham to Carmen’s lawyer. Had some paperwork done. In p.m. she did my shopping. War news not good, several Mainers killed. It is awful, this war. I didn’t do much of anything today. Billie about the same. I called Dorothea and David. David is having a problem with his back.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 31, 1991

 

Snow all around this morning. It snowed a lot during the night. I done up regular work. Arnold came and plowed the yard. Carmen to the court, to the judge and got her child custody papers. A big relief to her. I hope now she can get on with her life. I wish now the right man would come along for her and complete her life. Betty H dropped in for a while.

 

 

 

Friday, February 1, 1991 $472

 

Checks came. Carmen came and done a lot of work today. Cooked, cleaned the house. She made a cake and chocolate pudding. I didn’t do much myself today. Carmen took checks down and cashed them. Dorothea called in p.m. Also in evening. Betty came and had lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment