The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

June 1 - 4, 1961 Baccalaureate



Thursday, June 1, 1961

Cloudy today, some light rain showers. I washed, churned and cooked. Finished my housecleaning. Cleaned the yellow bedroom. Fern and Lloyd called in p.m. Linda up here tonight. She and Betty to assembly rehearsal. Mrs. Parker called in and had coffee when she brought them home. Betty had the horse.



Friday, June 2, 1961 Permanent tonight

Bad showers in early a.m. It cleared about 10 or 11 AM. I did up regular work, got ready to go to the seniors last assembly at the Brookside Theater. I went with Fern and Aunt Ava. Lloyd took us down. Blanche went too. Betty had a good time and they all did.










Saturday, June 3, 1961

A nice day. Mike came up. Betty rode Phantom. In a.m. Mama, Betty, Blanche and I went to Portland, got Betty’s dress. In p.m. I cooked. Bob called. Kennard called. In p.m. I had the lambs out. I trimmed the grass.



Sunday, June 4, 1961 BACCALAUREATE

A nice day. Busy all day getting ready for Baccalaureate. Fern, Aunt Ava and Mike went to church with us. We took Jean home and went down to Gordon’s camp site. Kennie and Dot went.

Baccalaureate June 4, 1961




No comments:

Post a Comment