The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 11, 2016

July 9 - 12, 1961



Sunday, July 9, 1961

Another dreary, cold day. Betty home mid-forenoon. She and Susan riding. Nola here about all day. Betty away all p.m. Susan and I for a ride with Fern and Lloyd. Joy, Blanche and girls here.



Monday, July 10, 1961

A very nice day. I washed, clothes dried good. Betty got home in late p.m. Susan rode bike today. Billie slept till late. Showers in late p.m. After supper Bill, Susan and I to town. Called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Betty home tonight.


Tuesday, July 11, 1961

A very nice day, sunny and hot. Joy, Blanche and children here. A busy day. We ironed, picked peas, Billie washed his car. Betty home early and Susan rode the horse. Then Betty went for a ride. We played croquet in p.m. Susan and I played in evening. Bill, Susan and I to town to get milk.




Wednesday, July 12, 1961 Hot Hot

A very nice day except it was quite hot, which everyone was glad. I didn’t do much. Susan and I went for a walk out in the woods out front. In p.m. also we went over to brook. She took a swim. The Murphy Company were over to Raymond’s shop today going to do business over there. Betty got a letter from Mike today. Hope it had good news for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment