The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

August 10 - 14, 1961 Aunt Ava to Hospital



Thursday, August 10, 1961 Susan left

Susan left this morning with Milan and family. It has been so lonesome all day. She is a sweet girl. I miss her. Also Norma has gone. She has left after being here this summer for only two weeks. Susan has been here for four weeks and five days. She went to Brud’s with Milan and well leave there by plane on Sunday. Enjoyed Susan and Norma this summer. They were good all the time. Betty had a good time with them too.



Friday, August 11, 1961 Aunt Ava to Hospital

Today Aunt Ava was taken to the Maine Medical Center in Portland. She was very sick last night. Hemorrhage terribly, was very weak this morning. Blanche and I took her. Uncle Lewis all upset. He came over here and stayed all night.



Saturday, August 12, 1961 Hot

A very nice day. I cleaned up the house all over. I cooked. Billie moved the pigs out. In late p.m. Uncle Lewis came over for supper. Betty worked out in the playpen taking care of old magazines etc.

The Whistling Kettle - Tea Store and More

Sunday, August 13, 1961

A nice day, on the cool sunny side. I done up the work. Had a good supper. Billie picked beans etc. Betty home all day. Kennie and Dot here. Bill and I went down to see Uncle Os.



Monday, August 14, 1961 Letter from Mike

Clear and cool and sunny. I washed. Clothes dried good. Betty home about one. Read her letter while riding. Billie and I to town in p.m. Called hospital. No information.

No comments:

Post a Comment