The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 28, 2016

May 17 - 20, 1961



Wednesday, May 17, 1961

A nice day, on the cold and windy side. Billie and lamb still fencing. I cleaned dining room and most of the kitchen done. Kennard still sick.



Thursday, May 18, 1961

A cold day. Partly cloudy. I washed and the clothes got dried. I got them in and did the ironing after supper. Billie finished his fencing. Fixed his pig pen. Cleaned his car. He and Kennie went up to Rangeley smelting tonight. Bill down to Dr. Taylor and Gordon’s and Jeans. Betty home from school early. The BHS Corona came today, very good. I finished up the kitchen today. Art Ward called. Irene and Kathy called, also Linda came up after supper and stayed all night.




Friday, May 19, 1961

Cold and gray. I made a fire in the kitchen stove. Billie got a nice lot of the big smelts last night. Today did my regular Saturday work. Cooked, churned, cleaned up the house, baked beans. Billie finished his fencing. Got a very pretty fence out there.



Saturday, May 20, 1961

Betty shopping for graduation. Well, had a great time today, was in Lewiston and Auburn today. Betty, Dawn and I went over there shopping. Betty got her dress and clothes for graduation. I got some also. Today Billie traded cows again. Bill finished up at the Portland Transmission Plant today. Mike came home with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment