The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

March 28 - 31, 1961



Tuesday, March 28, 1961

Cloudy in a.m. Quite mild. I done up the work. Kennard called. I ironed, cleaned up the downstairs bedrooms.



Wednesday, March 29, 1961

I churned, made a pie. Cloudy. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis called in p.m. Kennard called, said Dolores was quite sick last night. Kennie and Dot came up in evening. Betty up to Mrs. Parker’s with David. Blanche called in p.m. She fixed Betty’s dress she brought home from school.



Thursday, March 30, 1961 Verna Smith’s birthday

Been kind of cloudy today. I washed, clothes dried pretty good. Kennard called in p.m. Lloyd called in a.m. I cleaned up part of the house. Betty up to Irene’s tonight for supper and to babysit tonight. Bill and I up to Irene’s to see Betty. Also called at Kennard’s to see Delores. She is still quite sick. Letter from Betty. Milan has been sick for two weeks.


Friday, March 31, 1961

A nice day. Dorothy Prescott called. I done up regular work, ironed. Got ready to go to town. Betty downtown in evening. Back up to Irene’s and stayed all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment