The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 2, 2016

February 6 - 8, 1961 Raymond Allen Died



Monday, February 6, 1961 Raymond Allen died tonight very suddenly

Zero this morning. Warm, 35 above today. Just two years ago tonight Dorothea gave us a phone call from Boston. She and Jeffrey had come from Riverside California by plane. Bill and I went to Portland to meet them, first time we had seen her for two years, eight months and eight days. Today I washed. It has been a beautiful warm day. I cleaned Mama’s room and the downstairs bathroom. Linda Berry came up with Betty tonight. Randy came down to study with them.
Billie found Raymond dead tonight about 9:30. He hadn’t been well all fall. We all will miss him.



Tuesday, February 7, 1961

Not so warm today. This has been quite a busy day. Done a lot of talking on the phone about Raymond going etc. It don’t seem possible he has gone. We all going to miss him so much. I finally got my ironing done. Holly up here with Betty tonight. Fern and Lloyd came up this p.m. and Kennard called also.



Wednesday, February 8, 1961 Oil, Wanda Jean Harmon four years old

I’ve been busy on the phone, to town with Lloyd. Kennard called. He and I called Brud. Dolores not very good. After supper Billie and I over to Norway and Billie bought a suit. We called at Kennard’s, Ilan’s and up to Amy’s. Bonnie and Linda here tonight. Aunt Ava here this p.m. She and I called at Raymond’s to see the girls. They feel so bad about him.





No comments:

Post a Comment