The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

April 12 - 15, 1961 Russian Soldier Rockets into Space



Wednesday, April 12, 1961

A very nice day. Delores Smith’s birthday. Today David, Mike, Linda and Betty and I went to Portland in Bill’s car to have Betty’s eyes examined. We did a little shopping. Mike stayed here all night. I ironed in evening.



Thursday, April 13, 1961

A miserable day. Snowed, rained. About dark it snowed quite a lot and hard. Betty to school today. I washed, cooked, made a birthday cake for Delores. Mike down with Betty this morning. He went fishing and hunting.






Friday, April 14, 1961

A Russian soldier has been up in a rocket into space. First man ever to go up. I mean nasty day, Betty up to the dentist. Kids down town to the dance and over to Auburn tonight.



Saturday, April 15, 1961

A real nice day. I cooked, washed. Done up the work. Linda here today. Mike came in p.m. Also David. Downtown in p.m. Put the lamb down to the barn today for first time. Mike, Betty and David gone smelting.


No comments:

Post a Comment