The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 8, 2021

July 26 - 29, 1978

 

Wednesday, July 26, 1978 Zack better

 

A beautiful day. I washed, done regular work. Washed. Put a rinse on my hair. I picked some string beans. Billie came home about 10 AM from work. Fern called on the phone.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 27, 1978 hair set, had rain

 

It has been very hot and humid again today. A lot of humidity coming back in the air which made it kind of hazy. I done my work this morning. Got ready, went to town to do the shopping, then went and got my hair set at Barb’s. Came home, done some odds and end jobs, watched the 2 programs. Zak up here in PM and for supper. After supper I went up to the shelter and Dawn’s with Betty. They all are getting along very well. Joy came in for a cup of coffee this morning. This PM we had a little rain shower during the evening. We got thundershowers and a good rain. Billie didn’t work today.

 

Our cow, Cowboy

 

 

 

 

Friday, August 28, 1978 out to supper

 

Well it has been quite a nice day. Some clouds. Nothing to do any harm. In late PM it was nice and sunny. I done a lot of work, watched programs, took a bath, got ready to go to Alfred at Leedy’s for supper for Dorothea’s birthday and Betty and Walt’s wedding anniversary. Billie treated.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 29, 1978 DOROTHEA 41 years today, BETTY AND WALT’S wedding anniversary

 

A very nice day. I done all my work and Saturday work. I did a dite of wash. Billie went with Lawrence down country getting cows. Bill didn’t talk or anything.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment