The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

September 14- 19, 1956



Friday, September 14, 1956

Another hot day. In late p.m. had thundershowers. I got a letter from Frank today, Dorothea’s fiancé. Donnie seems more like himself today. Kennie called in p.m. Canned corn and made jelly today. Betty Louise brought home 100% papers tonight school work.



Saturday, September 15, 1956

Fair. A little on the cold side. Mama over to Frank Stone’s camp with Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis. I washed, cooked, cleaned up the house. To town in late p.m. Billie and Betty down to Fern’s and town in the evening.




Sunday, September 16, 1956

Rained hard all day. Betty to church. Delores called. Mama back from camp with Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis. Donnie better. I churned, ironed, cooked and got dinner. Billie’s veal calf went today. Andrew’s family moving some things. Bill watched game in p.m. I changed the furniture in the living room today for the furnace.



Monday, September 17, 1956

Rained hard all day. Bill home at noon. Check came from Lida $120. I paid my Christmas club. I didn’t wash today. Over to Aunt Linnie’s in the evening.



Tuesday, September 18, 1956

A very nice day. I ironed, cooked and churned. It was quite cold and windy. Delores left today to go to Brud’s. Delores called this morning.



Wednesday, September 19, 1956

Had a slight frost. Today I ironed, wrote to Dorothea.


No comments:

Post a Comment