The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 28, 2015

September 10 - 13, 1956


Monday, September 10, 1956

A very nice day. I washed. Delores called and Mama, Donnie and I went for a ride over to Maple Ridge to the cemetery, back and down to Naples and South Bridgton. After supper Bill and I went down and voted. In evening we sat up till early hours of the morning for the returns. Muskie got reelected. Had a frost last night. SUSAN ELIZABETH DEMING began school today.




Tuesday, September 11, 1956

Cloudy. I ironed. Don Ayers called this morning. He is a very nice man, too bad he has to have so much unpleasantness in his life. Kay here tonight, also Edith and Judy, also Helen Fleck called.



Wednesday, September 12, 1956

A very nice day, warm. I cooked and churned and took care of Donnie. He is getting to be an awful care now. Betty to choir rehearsal tonight. Judy here in p.m. A letter from Dorothea today, first one from March A. F. B.



Thursday, September 13, 1956

A very nice day. I cleaned up the house. We had strawberries and cream for supper. Donnie in bed all day. Fern and family up in evening. A very hot day. Mama finished payments on the second vacuum cleaner. Also bought two sets of wheels. Kay up here tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment