The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 3, 2015

May 31 - Jun 3, 1956



Thursday, May 31, 1956

I cooked. Dolores up in a.m. Got the crib. I cleaned up the house upstairs. Check came from Lida today. Bill and I down town shopping etc tonight. A very hot day. Billie fencing.




Friday, June 1, 1956

A very nice day. I didn’t do much today. In p.m., Fern and I went to the seniors last assembly at the State Theatre. Very good. Came home with Bob’s folks. Mama painted chair today. Betty to the last seventh and eighth grade dance tonight. Billie fencing again tonight. Bill mowed some more lawns. Phyllis and Cindy came today by plane. Esther and Susan left home today.



Saturday, June 2, 1956

A fair day. I did a lot of work. In evening we went to town to shop. We bought a brand-new power lawnmower tonight from Lovell. Fern and Lloyd up in evening.



Sunday, June 3, 1956

Rained all day. We went to Brud’s to get Esther and Susan. Fern, Lloyd, Bill and I went. It cleared off late in afternoon. Had a nice visit at Brud’s. A nice trip home and ate at Vallee’s steakhouse. Was very glad to see Es and Sue also Brud’s family. Left home at about seven, got home at four in p.m. Phyllis, Cindy and Dolores called. Bob’s folks over in eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment