The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

July 19 - 22, 1956



Thursday, July 19, 1956

A good hay day. I’ve cooked all day besides other work etc. Donnie not much different. Betty and Aloha came back from the camping trip. Betty to town swimming with Aloha in late p.m. Betty to choir rehearsal tonight.



Friday, July 20, 1956

A very nice day. I cleaned up the house. In p.m. Dorothy called. Betty came home today from Kay’s. Over to Dr. in evening with Donnie, he isn’t very good. Susan got a brand-new Schwinn bike today.






Saturday, July 21, 1956

A nice day. Bill got in a full week this week. Went to town tonight. I got my check. We paid bills and paid Gordon for the baling and harrowing $57. Donnie little better.



Sunday, July 22, 1956

A rainy day. Did the work. Phil (?) Bauchkman called. Fern & Lloyd called. I wrote letters etc. Donnie much better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment