The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 4, 2015

June 4 - 8, 1956



Monday, June 4, 1956

Cloudy in a.m., in p.m. it cleared off and got the clothes all dry. Kennie and Dot up in evening. Kennie very lame. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis called.



Thursday, June 5, 1956

In forenoon, Es, Sue and I went down to Dorothy’s and called at Dolore’s. In afternoon I ironed. Bud Lowell called and got the lawnmower to going and they mowed all the lawns. Es downtown to Sarah’s with Fern and Uncle Os. Bill down to the camp in evening.



Wednesday, June 6, 1956

A very nice day. Walked over to Aunt Linnie’s, Susan, Es and I in a.m. In p.m. Es went up and visited with Phyllis and Dolores. Susan and I churned in p.m. We set out some plants in the evening. Es, Sue, Ma and I went down to the cemetery. Called at Dorothy’s and Forrest’s. Susan rode on old Fan while he and Forrest furrowed out. Bob and Blanche called in eve. Betty to movies. Kennie down to the hospital to see about his leg.



Thursday, June 7, 1956

Es, Phyllis and Mama up to the mountain today. Went up in the chair lift to the top of Mount Chocorua. Had a very good time. Susan here with me all day. Betty finished up school. In eve we went to the graduation. Very nice.

Joy Aleta Smith Graduation 1956





Friday, June 8, 1956

Esther went over and got the car this morning. She, kids and I went to town shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment