The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

May 11 - 15, 1955 Dorothea's Prom




Wednesday, May 11, 1955

A nice day, warm. I washed and ironed. Mama pretty good.



Thursday, May 12, 1955

It has been very windy today. I cleaned the grain room. Don Mac Williams (?)




Friday, May 13, 1955

Nice day. Dot Prescott and I took Mama into the eye clinic. Her eye isn’t very good or never will be. Fern took care of Donnie.



Saturday, May 14, 1955

Milan’s folks  came this morning. Nice day. I went to town with Bill in a.m. and Milan, Betty and I went in late p.m.., Lorraine, Rayburn, Joan and baby called in p.m. Mama got awful tired today. Got check from Lida today.

Rayburn's daughter, Karen Joyce Smith



Sunday, May 15, 1955

Nice day. Milan’s folks went back home. Mama quite tired. Bill and Betty cleaned up the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment