The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

June 25 - 30, 1955 Betty Gets A Puppy



Saturday, June 25, 1955

A very good day. I did up the work. Bill went fishing. In late p.m. we went to town shopping.



Sunday, June 26, 1955

Nice day. Billie put up the hen yard. I got dinner. Raymond called in p.m. Lawrence Boynton called.



Monday, June 27, 1955

Very good day. I washed. Bill and Mama took some clothes down to Dorothea. Kennard called in evening in his new car. Bill and I walked down on the lower lot to see how much timber they got cut.



Tuesday, June 28, 1955

Very nice hot day. I ironed. Did regular work. Blanche called. Betty went to town and got her puppy, little tan German Shepherd, very pretty and cute. Billie’s Durham heifer came today from Elmer fogg.  A dandy. Dorothea came home tonight.





Wednesday, June 29, 1955

Dorothea here today, she cooked. A very hot day. Bill went up to Boston today to the Lahey Clinic. Horace Flint called in evening.



Thursday, June 30, 1955

Hot. Cleaned up the house. Fern and Lloyd came up in the evening, brought up some berries. Bill and I went over to Aunt Linnie’s to see her new stove.


No comments:

Post a Comment