The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 12, 2017

February 14 - 17, 1965 Betty's 22nd Birthday



Sunday, February 14, 1965

Clear in a.m., clouded in p.m. I done regular work up at 8 AM. Churned. Carmen to bed. Betty down to Dawn’s. Fern, Lloyd called, Kennie and Dot called, Billie down to Lawrence’s. Bill and I called at Jeans in evening.



Monday, February 15, 1965

A very nice day. I went to town, washed. Betty not too good, the flu I guess. The slides came back today from Scott photo. Gordon called in evening and brought the projector up. We saw the Christmas pictures.



Tuesday, February 16, 1965

I was busy all day. Betty and I to town, down to see the new house Gordon is working on. Also checked in one or two other new homes. Bill home sick. Betty better. Fire this evening at Warren Perry’s, the former Harold Porter house.



Wednesday, February 17, 1965

Betty 22 years old. I had a nice supper. Ice cream and a birthday cake. Had Fern up. Ate supper after Mike got home. Betty got new rubbers, a luncheon set, 2 dollars in money, carton cigarettes. Carmen had a good time. I talked with Dorothea. Good news, they may be coming nearer to home to live.


No comments:

Post a Comment