The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 26, 2017

April 11 - 14, 1965 Looking For Work



Sunday, April 11, 1965

A typical spring day here at Crooks. Bill worked on porch roof. Billie, Betty and Mike raking, cleaning yards etc. Carmen out all day. I sat around and watched.



Monday, April 12, 1965

A dark, dreary, snowy, raining miserable day. I couldn’t washed because of rain came onto the porch so bad. I had to go to town in p.m. Got my cleaning materials, paid my payment, and Billie’s last car payment.



Tuesday, April 13, 1965 I began my cleaning

Cloudy and stormy most all day. Betty, Mike, Carmen and I to Portland looking for work for Mike. To the Portland Company, Jordans Meat Company, Southworths Machine Shop  and no work. Out to SD Warrens in Westbrook. NO NO NO work, called at Poland Telephone Company in Raymond. They took his name. Betty down at the dumps. Carmen not too good.



Wednesday, April 14, 1965

A very nice day, sunny. I washed. Betty on the discouraged side. She wants so much and no way of getting it. (Trailer). She and Mike out looking for work. Clothes dried good. Aunt Ava called. Billie working outside tonight raking and cleaning up.

No comments:

Post a Comment