The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

September 6 - 9, 1958







Saturday, September 6, 1958

Partly cloudy. I didn’t accomplish much today. Betty up stairs all day picking over her things. Dot Prescott called. Bob and Blanche called in evening. Snaps of Jeffrey came today. I love them. Kennard and Dolores called.



Sunday, September 7, 1958

Cloudy. Not a very good day. I made a cake, took over to Raymonds. They feel better today. Ken and Dolores called. Bobby called. Aunt Ava called. Bill and Billie killed a turkey today. Bill and I down to Kennie and Dot, got some blackberries. Dawn called.



Monday, September 8, 1958

Cloudy in a.m. I washed. About 9:30 they took Aunt Linnie home from funeral parlor. In p.m. had her funeral. Nice and clear. She looks so nice. Had many flowers. Many friends and relatives attended. Bill Crook, Ervin Linscott, Fred Stevens, Gordon Brill were bearers.



Tuesday, September 9, 1958

A very nice day. Mama finished the blackberries. I cooked, churned, ironed. Dolores called. Lila and Bill called on way home, gave me their phone number. Dawn came up, got some strawberry plants. Bob and Blanche called in evening. Judy and Edith called in evening also Kennard.

No comments:

Post a Comment