The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 16, 2015

May 9 -14, 1954



Sunday, May 9, 1954

Finish the kitchen. Did the ironing. Rained hard all day. Bill had to work, culverts and roads washed out. Billie and I went up to Bob’s and Aunt Ava’s. Got a lamp, nightgown, large grater and towel loop.



Monday, May 10, 1954

Rained again. I washed, cooked and churned. Sun broke through for a few minutes in late p.m. Bill and Billie fenced.



Tuesday, May 11, 1954

Sun got out for about 10 minutes this morning. I ironed. Cleaned up the house.



Wednesday, May 12, 1954

Cold raw windy and rain showers. I helped Fern some today in her living room.



Thursday, May 13, 1954

Got up this morning, the sun came up and it has been a very nice day all day. I did some odds and end jobs around the house. Billie turned out the young stock today first time. Ballgames began tonight on TV.



Friday, May 14, 1954

Very nice day. I went to town with Uncle Os, sent Norma’s bank book to her. Went down and helped Fern clean her dining room. My order came from Sears. Got my new shoes today. Raymond called in the evening. Milan’s folks came and brought Mama. Got to bed about 1:45.

Mama - AKA Grammie Allie McKeen Smith in 1953 - warming by the fire

No comments:

Post a Comment