The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

April 13 - 16, 1954 Milan and family arrive with new car!



Tuesday, April 13, 1954

Cloudy and cold. I cooked.



Wednesday, April 14, 1954

Cloudy, rain and snow. I did regular work. Began on Aunt Ava’s bathroom.



Thursday, April 15, 1954

Worked up in the shed chamber. Sara called in p.m. Mama over to Aunt Ava’s for supper and evening. Fred Newcomb, wife and horse and wagon on TV this evening. Billie over to Lovell with Chet. Fair but windy.



Friday, April 16, 1954

Cloudy and rained today. I went to Norway with Lloyd and Fern in p.m. I cooked all forenoon, cleaned up the house. Kennard called. Fern and Lloyd up in eve. Milan folks came late at night with a new 1953 Ford. Blue with ivory top. We got our new cow. A Guernsey. Bot of Chet.


No comments:

Post a Comment