The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

June 23 - 29, 1945



Saturday, June 23, 1945

Very nice day. Billie mowed grass. I cleaned the house. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis here for supper in eve.



Sunday, June 24, 1945

Lloyd worked up here today. I set dahlias out. Planted some peas. Dorothea planted flower seeds. Kennard and Dolores moved up to the camp.



Monday, June 25, 1945

Lloyd worked up here tonight. I washed. Thundershowers.



Tuesday, June 26, 1945

Lloyd worked up here tonight. Fern came up to. We went down to Aunties. She want (weren’t) so good. Rained all day and Bill and Ilan didn’t work in woods.



Wednesday, June 27, 1945

Arthur Shackley began to work in the woods with Mr. Grover today. Lloyd worked up here with Bill tonight.



Thursday, June 28, 1945

Lloyd not up. Mama and Uncle Os up in eve a little while. Kennie and children up. Nice day. I called on Minnie in p.m.



Friday, June 29, 1945

1000 more chicks came. I did big wash. Very hot. Bill, Dorothea, and I went down in woods. Rayburn up here. Dolores and Velma called.

No comments:

Post a Comment