The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

July 14- 20, 1945



Saturday, July 14, 1945

Nice day. I did regular work. Downtown in eve.



Sunday, July 15, 1945

Rained nearly all day. Fern and Lloyd moved. And gave us their electric fridgerator as a gift. Bill and Billie helped them. Mama 65 years young today. Down to Uncle Os.



Monday, July 16, 1945

Cloudy. They hauled 2 loads of logs. Aunt Ava called in eve. Mr. and Mrs. Murray brought shavings. I washed. Charlie came up.



Tuesday, July 17, 1945

Fair. They hauled three loads of logs. Billie, Val and I cleaned out the big chicks. Got check for $80 from Leon Newcomb.



Wednesday, July 18, 1945

Showers today. Bill and Ilan still working on barn. Planks came from Bisbee. Hauled three loads of timber. I help to clean out small chicks.



Thursday, July 19, 1945

Nice day. Hauled three or four loads of logs today. I worked in garden. Big news letter from Carlton he was in Oakland California. Kennard Dorothea and I went to Harrison to see Dolores.



Friday, July 20, 1945

More news telegram from Milan in New York. Coming home soon. Also another letter from Carlton.


No comments:

Post a Comment