The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

May 27 - June 2, 1944



Saturday, May 27, 1944

I used oil stove for first time. Bill stayed at home. Finished planting. Mama came back from Kennard’s. Bill, Dorothea and I went for a ride up over the ridge.


Sunday, May 28, 1944 

Dolores had spell. Hot again. Did a big ironing. Bob’s family here.  Guinea hen got away.


Monday, May 29, 1944

Billie went fishing with Hayd and Val. Jean and Charlie up in evening. Went over to North Bridgton hot house and got tomatoes and plants for cemetery. Also went down to cemetery. Saw Carkie this a.m. downtown.


Tuesday, May 30, 1944

I clean the grain room. Hot today. Made baby’s nightdress and Dorothea a sun suit. Mama did.

Mama with Baby Betty and Big Sister Dorothea looking on 1943


Wednesday, May 31, 1944

Nice day. Swept and dusted. Made another sun suit for baby. Billie and I cleaned up the barn. Carlton came up.


Thursday, June 1, 1944

Bill, Betty Louise and I went to town.


Friday, June 2, 1944

 I did a big wash and washed up all of the blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment