The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

January 1 -3, 1962







Monday, January 1, 1962

Nice clear cold day and windy. I was very late getting my washing done. Bill and Billie home. Blanche came over to watch Rose Bowl parade on TV. Mama fell down. Bill and Billie had quite a job to get her up again. Fern, Lloyd, Kennie and Dot called today. Bill, Betty and I called at Ferns. Uncle Os not too good. Mama not too good either.



Tuesday, January 2, 1962 MIKE CALLED

Very cold. Tonight Betty got a call from Mike. First time she had heard from him since before Christmas. It was while Billie and I were at Ferns he called. She called us right up.  Mike is in Fort Lewis, Washington. He told her she would get a letter from him tomorrow. Also the good news about coming out there with him.



Wednesday, January 3, 1962 Letter came from Mike
Betty got her letter from Mike today.  She began packing. It was the first time she has heard from him since December 5. I churned, cooked etc. Mama didn’t feel too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment