The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 26, 2016

December 26 - 29, 1961



Tuesday, December 26, 1961

Bill home sick. A nice day, warm. I washed. Churned. No word from Mike to Betty, was sick at heart. I feel so sorry for her. Hope she hears tomorrow. I got the dining room cleaned up and the Christmas tree out. In p.m. Susan, Billie and I to town and to Naples. Esther here for supper.



Wednesday, December 27, 1961

Fair and warm. Bill still home sick. We finished cleaning up the house. Betty waited on Bill. In late p.m. Esther, Cliff and Billie came up for supper. Billie and Betty got the hens back down to the tie up. We had steak cooked outside. Brud called in evening. Got the clothes in. Cleaned up from Christmas. No word from Mike. Hope we hear tomorrow.



Thursday, December 28, 1961

Bill up and to work this morning. Didn’t feel very good. Billie worked at Chet’s. I cleaned up the house. Susan having a good time helping Billie at the barn doing chores etc. No word from MIKE.



Friday, December 29, 1961

A nice day. Cooked roast pork for supper. Esther and family here. Kennie and Dot, Bob and Blanche came to bid them goodbye. Bill and I to town. Betty went down to do some shopping. Susan went with us. Esther, Cliff and Billie spent the evening. Billie Crook worked at Chet’s. Fern, Es, Cliff and Billie down to Herman and Frances’s. No word from Mike. May hear tomorrow I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment