The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

November 16 - 22, 1946



Saturday, November 16, 1946

Nice day. Bill finished hauling shavings. He went to town in pm. Billie up to Chet’s. Lin Hall called up to see about furnace.



Sunday, November 17, 1946

Nice day. Mama down to Ferns. Kennie’s folks call. Kennard and Papa, Bob called. We bought 12 pullets and a rooster off Bob today. Bill down to see Les Thomes.



Monday, November 18, 1946

Nice day but very cold. Bill over to Jim’s after two weeks at home. I washed. Mama mended all day.



Tuesday, November 19, 1946

Down to Ferns today having one of Mama’s dresses made over for me. Nice day. Billie up to Chet’s. Auntie gave me a plant.



Wednesday, November 20, 1946

I cleaned the grain room. Warm and nice today. Bill bought a new furnace off Lin Hill. Bill and I went down to Lin Hills. Dorothea to Brownie meeting.



Thursday, November 21, 1946

Did regular work. Billie worked up to Chet. Bill over to Jim’s.



Friday, November 22, 1946

Rained hard in p.m. Bill didn’t work. Fired cement in cellar. Billie did Chet’s chores. Bill and I went up after him.


No comments:

Post a Comment