The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

May 24 - 30, 1947



Saturday, May 24, 1947

Very hot. I finished cleaning upstairs. Bill harrowed the garden. Papa over, his feet very bad. Mama got S. plants put out.



Sunday, May 25, 1947

Nice day, we washed blankets. Bill and Billie harrowed several ground down. Sat out S. plants and hauled dressing, had Jim’s tractor.



Monday, May 26, 1947

We washed. Ironed. Nice day.



Tuesday, May 27, 1947

Nice day. I helped Blanche to get a bed ready for Papa up to her camp. He is up there sick. Dropsy. Leg swollen bad. We cleaned Mama’s room and closet (?).



Wednesday, May 28, 1947

Fern and I cleaned at Mrs. Coles. Cloudy and rain in a.m., cleared off a lot in PM. Fern and I called up to Bob’s to see Papa on way home. First thunderstorm tonight.



Thursday, May 29, 1947

Cloudy and rain. We did a big wash. I cleaned a little in front bedroom. I did big ironing in eve. Bill didn’t work, caught nice lot of trout. Billie gone to Jim Small’s show at state theater.



Friday, May 30, 1947

Memorial Day. Mama and I went down to Kennard and Dolores to the parade. Dorothea was in the parade.


No comments:

Post a Comment