The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

September 10 - 14, 1955 Betty's New Horse Arrives



Saturday, September 10, 1955

Cloudy. Went to town in p.m.



Sunday, September 11, 1955

Betty got her horse tonight. A two-year-old Palomino, light ivory color.






Monday, September 12, 1955

Quite cool. I washed.



Tuesday, September 13, 1955

I ironed. Cloudy.



Wednesday, September 14, 1955

Kind of cloudy. I went up to John McKeen’s fruit farm in p.m. with Aunt Linnie and Thena. Mama had callers in p.m. Dorothea made a good cake. Raymond and Bob called in eve. Quite warm. Jill up in eve, rode her horse back.


No comments:

Post a Comment