The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

October 17 - 21, 1955 25th Anniversary



Monday, October 17, 1955

Cold and rainy. I cleaned in the living room.



Tuesday, October 18, 1955

Bill went to Boston to the Lahey clinic. I washed. In evening we went up to Ray McDonald’s to see a stove. I ordered my pullets tonight. I finished living room. Our 25th anniversary, got two pretty cards from Dorothea and Esther and some very pretty towels from Billie.



Wednesday, October 19, 1955

I ironed and cleaned the two bedrooms downstairs. Kay Fleck and Jeannie Dodge came up tonight.



Thursday, October 20, 1955

I cleaned up the upstairs. Did regular work besides.



Friday, October 21, 1955

Cold and windy. I cleaned the dining room. Fern and Lloyd called in p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment